The choices of where to live, work, play, and worship are some of the most far-reaching decisions an individual or family can make. Housing choice is an essential element of personal, family, and community well-being. Fair housing protects you, your family, your business, and your community.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your housing situation or if you have questions regarding your rights as it concerns, please contact the Treasure Valley NAACP or the Intermountain Fair Housing Council.
Intermountain Fair Housing Council
310 N. 5th Street
Boise, ID 83702
IFHC Website: https://www.ifhcidaho.org
The Fair Housing Act: It’s the Law
The Fair Housing Act prohibits a housing provider from exercising discrimination on the basis of:
- Race or color
- National origin
- Familial Status: Children under 18 years old living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women, or people securing custody of those under 18 years old.
- Disability: Mental and/or physical
The term “housing” includes apartments, condominiums, duplexes, multi-unit dwellings, mobile homes/trailer courts, private homes, and vacant land.
The Fair Housing Act is a State and Federal law that covers most housing. In some cases, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, a single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.
The Fair Housing Law prohibits:
- Advertising any discrimination or preference or limit in housing
- Refusing to show, rent, lease sell or transmit an offer to buy, rent or lease housing
- Causing unequal terms, conditions, and privileges of housing, including the obtaining and use of financial assistance for the purchase, construction or maintenance of housing
- Segregating and/or separating in housing
- Aiding an abetting in unfair housing practices or to prevent any person form complying with fair housing practices
Other prohibited practices include:
- Exclusionary lands use decisions by local governments